WARNING: what I am about to share is sad story my mom shared with me. It's a little heart breaking too, so take a second and go grab a kleenex!
On Sunday my parents were settling down to watch The Oscars when a stray dog showed up at the backdoor. The thing was really old and just didn't look well. My parents had never seen her before and they walk their dogs enough to know their canine (and human) neighbors. So they took the old gal inside since it was cold and let her stay the night in the laundry room where she could be kept from the other dogs. She ate and drank some water. My dad even placed a notice on craigslist hoping that someone out there loved this dog enough to miss it. I guess on Monday morning though the dog had thrown up and had diarrhea and just was not doing well at all. I know my parents would have liked to keep her but they couldn't. So my dad did the tough thing and took her to the humane society where she will or has already been put to sleep. (sorry, gotta take a second and get a kleenex myself!) My parents did admit that it did seem like it was time for this dog to go. If it had been their dog, they would have been agonizing over the decision to put them to sleep. Their guess is that someone just dropped the dog off on the road somewhere instead of doing the humane thing. How disgusting.
The touching thing to me is that this dog was lucky enough to find my parents and spend at least a few hours with caring people. She didn't have to die alone in the woods. She was able to die with dignity, like every living creature deserves. And I don't think it is a coincidence that this dog found my parents. Their house is a mecca of sorts for the nieghborhood dogs. It's as if the other dogs told her to go to my parents and she'd find two very caring people willing to do what they could. So I am thankful for all the people in this world like my parents who take that extra effort to be kind to someone or something in need. I wish more people were like them.

1 comment:
They sound like my kind of people! I always seem to attract strays and have a tender spot for them. Nice story!
Post a Comment