Saturday, June 20, 2009

Things That Go Bump In The Night - Part II

About six months ago, I came home to find the faucet in my backyard running. The pipe had burst or anything. Someone actually turned on the water and left it running. It was that night that I freaked out and thought I was going to be killed. Last night I thought someone was trying to break into the house.

I woke up around 3:30am to Mandy practically throwing herself at her favorite window perch by my bed. She normally sits on the sill and tries to play with the blinds. I wasn't going to take any of her crap at 3:30am so I locked her out of the bedroom. Not even 5 minutes later, I hear her growling. I open the bedroom door and that is when I start to hear something on the patio. It sounded like someone trying to open the sliding glass door to my bedroom. My heart started pounding fast. I grabbed my phone. Who was I gonna call? 911? Mr.X? Ghostbusters? I thought if I was going to call 911, I should at least confirm someone is trying to break in. My gameplan: confirm intruder, call 911, run out of house through garage, go to neighbor's house, call Mr. X (no way I'd go back into my house alone!), and wait until the police showed up. I'd wait until next time to call the Ghostbusters.

So I go over to the sliding glass door in the living room where Mandy is growling. I carefully move one of the blinds so I can take a peek. At this point I think I am crazy for doing this since I am completely unarmed. I look outside and to my great relief the only thing out there is a ginormous stray cat! It left after a few attempts to scare it away. Then I picked up Mandy, gave her a big hug for alerting me (even though it was just a cat and not an intruder),told her I wouldn't have her declawed (her reward), and let her back into the bedroom. I realized that she lept to the window because she saw the cat enter our yard. I wonder if she would do that if she saw a person come into the yard at night?

Unlike last time, at least I now have phone numbers for people I can call in the wee hours of the morning when I get scared! But I was fine once I saw that it was just a cat. Phew.

1 comment:

Carol Swift said...

What a good kitty! I hate when I hear things go bump in the night!