Sunday, March 29, 2009

I don't wanna grow up.....

So this weekend I went somewhere I haven't been in years....wait,....I was there at Thanksgiving. It was years before that though that I had been this place - Toys R Us (Please forgive my non-backwards R). I was there looking for a birthday gift for someone but thought I'd take a stroll around - for fun. I found Legos - I LOVED those as a kid. Then the board games. Trivial Pusuit with three levels of difficulty? Who wants that? Now the stupids of the world can compete in that game? Not when I'm around!! There was also the revamped Clue - two thumbs down on that too. Then I saw them. Little. Belgian. Blue. It was Smurfs!! I guess it is the 50th anniversary of the Smurfs. One item they had was a small stuffed Smurf that spoke when you pushed its hand. I find something terribly wrong with the fact that the first thing Smurfette says is " hey there boys!" The others say something like "have a Smurf-tastic day" or something else Smurfy. That just proves that Smurfette was the village bicycle!! Well, I'm guessing Brainy never got a ride. But I digress....I even found GI Joes and they actually looked like the ones from yesteryear. I think the Barbies were the weirdest. When did their look change? Not quite Barbie, not quite Bratz. And I even saw a Barbie doll with fishnet stockings! That didn't seem right! The only toy of my youth missing was Playmobil. I loved those more than Legos - probably because my brother couldn't control things as much. I wanted the old Victorian house SO BAD, but had to settle using my Fisher Price house for them. It was pretty cool though. It opened in the middle and locked so you could even carry it around. The garage door opened and closed and even had a working doorbell. But it just wasn't the Playmobil house that cost over $150 - in the 80s!!


This is the Playmobil house I wanted......
This is the exact Fisher Price house I had....

1 comment:

Carol Swift said...

I always wanted a doll house when I was young, so of course I had to buy one for my kids. I don't think they appreciated as much as I thought they would. Now, as for that Playmobil house--I'd love that one! I want to walk around Toys R Us with you!