Friday, March 20, 2009

Chi-town Adventures - Day One



So for the past few days I have been in Chicago, theoretically for work. LOL! I left on Wednesday morning with two of the guys from the office. (They don't know about my blog so I kind of feel bad talking about them by name, so I'll use initials: ML and DB.) I of course had to get to the airport early because I'm not allowed to skip security like they are. But I entertained myself with free wireless access which was pretty cool. Most airports charge...anyway....we got to Chicago around 3pm Chicago Time. Somehow we took the long way to baggage claim because by the time we got there, there were two bags left on the carousel - the guys' bags! (I carried mine on with me.) We then got a cab to the hotel. It was right by the river which was no longer green. My room was really nice. We pretty much dropped off our bags and headed out to find food. We were all pretty damn hungry.

We walked around the hotel trying to find a place to eat. I can't remember if we got any suggestions from the hotel staff or not. We ended up going with the recommendation of some random utility worker on the street. Yes, just some random dude. He sent us to the Rockit Bar and Grille. I think it was a cruel joke on the out-of-towners! We started dinner with the Rockit Shrimp. Nothing special. Then DB and I had the angus burgers and ML had the "kobe" beef burger with date aioli and truffle fries. My burger was overcooked and the fries kind of sucked. The pretzel bun wasn't too bad. DB was kind enough to share his sweet potato fries with me though. I tried the date aioli - yuck. I tried the truffle fries - quadruple yuck. I had never heard of truffle fries before. Apparently they are french fries sprinkled with truffle oil. At least dessert wasn't bad - we all shared a hot fudge brownie sundae. I really just wanted the cherry that came on top of it!

The Rock It Bar and Grill - it didn't really rock.
After dinner we tried to go to the House of Blues but there was a private event going on and it also looked pretty dead. We actually ended up going to a bowling alley right across the way from the House of Blues. That rocked! I haven't been bowling in a couple years and am proud to say I kicked the guys' butts! DB had a slight impediment to his bowling. Let's just say he had an accessory on his waist that he was a little worried about and it wasn't his cellphone. It even made him take this cute little hop in his approach!! There was a jukebox and when your song came on, the video would be played on a couple big screens at the end of the lanes. ML tried to psyche me out with "Under Pressure" but it didn't work. I of course annoyed the guys with "The Final Countdown"! DB tried to find a favorite song of his at the jukebox but was accosted by a pack of cougars!! That was HILARIOUS!
10 pin bowling alley - now that place rocked!

The bowling alley also had the black lights on so it was kind of a cosmic bowling atmosphere, but not totally. I was wearing a sweater and a t-shirt and I was getting pretty hot so I took off my sweater half-way through the first game. Towards the end of that game or the start of the next, I was waiting for the pins to reset and noticed that my shirt was glowing in the black light. I thought, "that's odd, my shirt isn't white." It was at that point that I realized it was my WHITE BRA showing through my apparently thinner-than-I-thought t-shirt!!!!! The guys didn't' say anything and acted like they didn't notice and would have said something if they did. Somehow I am not buying that.....what do you think? I put my sweater back on but it was too darn hot, so I said screw it and eventually took it off for the rest of the time! After bowling we went back to the hotel (which was just across the street) and had a drink at the hotel bar before calling it quits for the night.

3 comments:

Carol Swift said...

So this was like a blacklight t-shirt contest, huh! :o)

Pick-Up Artist said...

Hahahaha!!!! I guess it was! And I guess that means I won too since I didn't see any other competitors!

Dallas said...

Oh my goodness! This is great! I love it!!! I'm sure the guys knew. and I'm not sure if its a good thing or a bad that they were gentlemen enough to pretent they didn't see.