I was going to write a post about the addition of my 50th friend on facebook, but think I'll take a different route. Plus, I know having 50 friends on FB is nothing. My cousin's 15 year-old son has something like 600 friends and Kristi has more than 50 friends and she has been on FB for only a couple of weeks!!
Today I received a friend request, not from some random foreigner, but from someone I haven't heard from in practically 5 years! I got a little frustrated waiting for my background check for this job and decided in early winter of 2003 to go to Prague, Czech Republic and get certified to teach English as a foreign language. It was a 4 week training/certification course in November/December. After going home for Christmas, I moved back to Prague to look for work. I shared an apartment with two other girls who also taught English. I actually never found a job and ended up with a 3.5 month vacation in Prague. I did a lot of reading in coffee shops, exploring of the city, more coffee, taking pictures, and watching crappy American tv shows dubbed in Czech. My favorites were 21 Jump Street and Walker Texas Ranger. The Czech version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire was also entertaining. Unfortunately I wasn't there long enough to develop any real language skills.
Anyway, the friend I received the request from I met through my roommates. We actually didn't know each other for very long but I always thought he was a cool guy. The last time I had any contact with him was sending him a text message on my way back to the States. I had to stay the night in Frankfurt and was having coffee and a pastry in the hotel lobby. That seems like ages ago. So much has happened since then. Wow.
I left Prague in April, right after Easter. Even though it was such a short time, it will always have a fond place in my heart. I would share photos of Prague with you, but my old computer crashed a few years ago taking all my photos with it. Gone. And I had taken some cool photos of the city that I was really proud of. I'm no photographer, but I thought these photos had an "artsy" quality to them. I really want to go back!!
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
What a fun adventure! I've never been out of the USA, but Ron has been to Prague. Sad about your pictures which is a good reminder that we all need to back up our computers!
Yup, I was in Prague for a week in, I think, April 2004. Very interesting city, reminded me of movie studios at the town squares, so picturesque. Rest of the city, a mix of Russian influence and historical stuff. (Sorry about the picture comment.)
:-)
When I first left, I liked watching movies that were filmed in Prague so I could see the scenery! The Vin Diesel movie XxX was the best as far as showing off the city, but I also like that movie because the female character is named Yelena. Go figure. :-)
I had a 3 hour layover in Prague when coming back from Iraq. The only thing open at 3am was the bar and we definitely gave that place plenty of business!!! When we left around 6am the sun was coming up and it looked like a beautiful place. I have always wanted to go back and actually explore.
Post a Comment