Monday, January 12, 2009

Latrine Lockdown

Most of my reading audience already heard this today, but I'll blog about it anyway! Today Charlie was a little sad at work - football was dead to him. In an effort to bring some joy into the office, I shared the following:

Although Clarice's baby shower was a lot of fun, the highlight for me was not enjoying everyone's company or indulging in too much food. No. It was the fact that I did not lock myself in the bathroom. It happens to me a lot more than you would think even humanly possible too. Why the last instance was the Christmas party at Marty's house! I knew the instant I locked the door (at Marty's) that I would have trouble getting out. I tried for a little bit to move the handle as quietly as possible so not as to alert anyone. Eventually I heard someone say something like "I think Yelena is locked in the bathroom". Of course at that instant I was released from my half-bath jail cell!

The original lockdown came 20 years ago while visiting a museum in Austria. My family split up at one point and were to meet up again at the preposed time. So I stop in the bathroom before finding my parents. It's a single bathroom (no stalls) on a sort of mezzanine level of this large staircase. I do what I need to do but when it comes time to head out the door, I can't get it open!! I keep trying and trying and at one point even hear my mom walking down the staircase calling my name! I yell "I'm in here!!" but she didn't hear me. Finally the door magically opens and I find an Austrian woman on the other side who was apparently jiggling the handle from the outside. Upon seeing me, she says "danke" or "thank you." Thank me??? No meine frau, thank you!!! To add insult to injury, I got locked in the stall at LAX on our way back home. I had to crawwl on the dirty airport bathroom floor to get out. Of course I was wearing a white skirt of all things. Although if I recall correctly, I had it paired with a black and white International News sweatshirt over a pink polo shirt. Damn I was stylin! But I digress....

So if you ever invite me to your home (you may not after readaing this post!), please make sure you know how to rescue someone from a locked bathroom!!!

3 comments:

Clarice said...

I love it...so funny. Just don't go try to use the bathroom in the holding cells cause many of agents have locked themselves in there.

Pick-Up Artist said...

Are you serious?!? Then I will NEVER use those bathrooms!!!

Carol Swift said...

I didn't know that about the holding cells either! If you come to my house, I'll show you how the lock works before you go in. :o)