Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Thank you for being a friend.....

A few days ago Carol had a posting on her blog about a good friend of hers. Well, it got me thinking about my best friend, Katie. So I thought I'd share a little about my friend. We met a little over 4 years ago back in DC.

I don't know how much you all have gathered but I have some nerdish tendencies and a somewhat quirky sense of humor in addition to my usual smart ass remarks. I am just slow to open up and reveal all the facets of my personality. (There are times when I really want to say something or do something at work, but just don't think you are "ready" for it. I still feel like I am in a trial period or something.) I am also a wealth of pop culture facts and references as well as trivia in general. NOTE: I kick ASS in Trivial Pursuit and will gladly play a round with/against you! Amazingly, Katie has a very similar personality.
I actually recall the moment I knew she and I would be good friends. It must have been a month or so after Katie started and we walked to Starbucks for a coffee break. Somehow we got on the topic of old episodes of the TV show Saved By The Bell. There was this one where the three girls form a singing group and Zack magically gets them an audience with some record execs. (BONUS QUESTION 1: What was the name of the group?) They even make a video. I started singing the song, "Put your mind to it, go for it, get down and break a sweat....." And then I asked Katie if she knew what came next because I couldn't remember. She said no. We get coffee and are on our way back to work when the song pops in my head again. "Put your mind to it, go for it, get down and break a sweat...." and then I hear Katie say "rock annndd rollll, you ain't seen nothing yet!" She knew the words all along!! (BONUS QUESTION 2: What are the "famous" lines Jessie says at the end of this episode?)

Anyway, Katie is always there for me, she listens and gives her honest opinion, she was there when I was a wreck thinking I had MS (just a compressed nerve), she is there to laugh at quotes from "The Office" or "The Simpsons", we made up our own bowling lingo (we were on the DEA summer bowling league together), she was my pranking cohort at work, she listens when I go on and on about the guy I have a crush on, we cry together while watching "Extreme Home Makeover", and just share everything about our lives. I can talk about and share anything and everything in my life with her. We always have a good time, whether it is going to get our hair cut together, getting Chinese food from Wegmans (the most awesome grocery store ever!), or even deciding one Saturday around 1am to go to White Castle that very night (her husband and another friend also joined us) even though the nearest White Castle was in Newark, New Jersey! For the record, we made it to a Waffle House in Newark, Delaware and then turned around and came home in time to see the sun rise. Anyway, I just wish Virginia were a lot closer to Nevada.
BONUS QUESTION 3: What TV theme song is the title of this post taken from? Money to the person who sings it over the PA at work. :-)

4 comments:

Carol Swift said...

I'm terrible at Trivial Pursuit, so I'm out on playing that game with you. But, I love your sense of humor and sarcasim--it fits in well in our office.

Dallas said...

OOOO!!! Bonus question #3 is Golden Girls!!! But, sorry, I'm not singing it over the PA in fear of losing my job :o)

raine_days said...

I'm so excited, I'm so excited, I'm so scared....that I don't know the answers to questions one and two! Well, maybe not but are the other answers Zach Attach and Golden Girls??

Pick-Up Artist said...

Zack Attack was the name of the group formed by the entire gang (See the "Friends Forever" episode - it was where Zack dreamt of the future and they were no longer friends.)The name of the girl group was Hot Sundae.