
When I got home from work the other day, I went into my room to change and could hear water running outside. At first thought my sprinklers were on. But then it wasn't my day to water and I have never even used my sprinklers. My two plants do fine with what random rain they get. At least that is what I tell myself! From the puddles, it was obvious the water had been on for some time too. I turned off the water and went back inside. Now this kind of freaked me out, but nothing was else was disturbed. I have lived by myself on and off for 8 of the last 10 years. I have never been afraid to be on my own. Until that night. I was fine until I started turning off lights and getting reaady to get in bed. I actually took my baseball bat out of the closet and kept it close all night. If I had a machete, I would have tucked that bad boy under the mattress - just in case. Every little noise began to make me suspicious and more paranoid. It didn't help either that Mandy was acting very peculiar. It was not appreciated when she knocked a bunch of things off a bookcase and scared the crap out of me. I believe I was even shaking a little at one point. My fear grew as I realized there was nothing I could do. Who would I call? The cops? "Um, hi, 911. I think someone might try and kill me tonight. No, I don't have any evidence. I'm just crazy." Then I thought, hey, I work with a bunch of guys who routinely carry guns - I can call one of them! Who doesn't want to be a hero? "Um, hi, this is Yelena. [sigh] Yelena. From work. Yuh-lay-na. You know, the new analyst? [exasperated sigh] You know, the person who sits at Charlie's old desk? Yeah, that one. I can't believe you don't want to come to my house in the middle of the night and make sure that no one is trying to kill me. Loser! If I die, it's totally your fault!" Oh wait, I don't have their numbers. Moving on. I also figured no one in our group would appreciate a paranoid call from me that night. Whoever I called would have to come get me (and Mandy - can't leave her behind!) because there was no way I was going to leave by myself! So, Dallas would have to get Chi out of bed and bring him along, I don't have Abe's number, and Joe probably wouldn't hear the phone ring. If it had been earlier, I think I would have called someone. I also thought about calling one of my friends back in DC for comfort, but I didn't think they'd appreciate a call that late at night. Anyway, I eventually fell asleep that night and survived. I just have no idea why I got so worked up. Yes, the water being on was weird, but I think my reaction to it scared me more. It just wasn't like me. And maybe I should get some more people's phone numbers!!
5 comments:
I'll give you my number next week--I'm a really good paranoid person to talk to when you're afraid. I could talk you into thinking it was something worse than you had even thought of before. :o)
Oh yeah...you did a great job making me laugh at your writings, even though I felt bad that you were scared.
Wow... you killed me with this one! Thanks, first off, for the great laugh! You can call me any time. Chi sleeps like a log, so he wont mind. I get paranoid too! I have a shot gun and lil pistol locked and loaded and even a battle plan! Yeah, I'm a lil nuts! But at least I live close, you have my number, you know that I know who you are, AND I carry heat!
Unfortunately, I live a ways a way but I would come to your rescue if you needed. If you ever get creeped out again, you can borrow my Rottenweiler, Brewtus. He is really big and intimidating so he would probably scare someone away quickly. The only problem is he really is a big baby. Even my little cat kicks his but.
Thank God the meerkat squad is now on the job! I used them for awhile myself and can't say enough on how well they protected my place.
Post a Comment