Earlier today I saw that Turner Classic Movies would be showing Casablanca as part of their 31 days of Oscar - where all the movies on TMC are Oscar winners. I made a mental note to come back this afternoon and watch it. I totally forgot as I got caught up in the Doctor Who season finale on BBC America. But that's okay. I've seen Casablanca several times. It's a great film. However, I think I enjoy it for a slightly different reason. There is a scene in the movie that always makes me cry. And it has nothing to do with the tragic love of Rick and Ilsa. It is the scene in Rick's club where the German solidiers begin singing "Die Wacht Am Rhein" - a song about World War I. Many of the patrons at Rick are disgusted, as they have fled the Nazis. So Victor Lazlo goes to the band and begins a stirring and emotional version of "Marseillaise", the French national anthem. Soon the Germans are drowned out and eventually stop singing. It the love of a country that has inspired this act. A love for a country occupied by another nation. I could easily see this as a group of Americans joining together to sing the "Star Spangled Banner" when put in a similar situation. It's a short scene, but full of emotion and it is one of the reasons why I think Casablanca is a good movie. Here is a link to that scene. Hopefully it works!
No comments:
Post a Comment